Check out this interview we had with Jared “Deraj” Wells, an amazing talent we are excited to work with on various projects.
1. Tell us a little about yourself.
Ha, I hate this question because it’s never easy for me to answer neatly. In a nutshell, I’m a self proclaimed all-around creative but have found space in the design & music world. I was raised in the DMV area as I lived in Maryland and Virginia in my early years until my late teens. Currently, I reside in Orlando Florida where I’ve lived since late 2007.
2. When was your first introduction to creating music?
When I was around 9 years old, my oldest brother had a rap group that he was apart of. So for me it was the typical little brother wanting to be like big brother story. He would occasionally take me to the studio when they would record and I was always fascinated by it. Before long, I’d write my first rap, which later turned into an on and off relationship with songwriting.
3. How would you describe the type of music you create?
Eh, depends on the day ha. I enjoy experimenting and genre blending when I can. My foundation is hiphop but since I’ve experimented with my vocal ability which has evolved over the years. I’ve written and performed pop, jazz, rnb, funk, disco and probably some others I can’t think of at the moment.
4. What do you enjoy about creating music?
Collaboration, honestly. My best work has been in the company of creating with others.
5. What do you usually start with when writing music?
I always start with laying down scat melodies that later turn into the framework for the lyrics I’ll eventually write. From there, we usually let the song develop around that foundation.
6. What advice would you give to writers who want to become more seasoned?
I write a TON, and get around an honest and likeminded community. It’s hard to grow in any area of life in isolation; music isn’t excluded.
7. What are your music dreams/goals for the future?
You know, I really desire to create more opportunities for undiscovered indie talent. There’s so many artists that go under the radar who are insanely talented. Aside from that, creating premium content for TV and Film and really diversify the genres I create in.
8. Can you name a few brands you’ve worked with and tell us one of your favorite placements?
Since my career really became more intentional, I’ve had placements with Ball In Family, Journeys, NCAA, NBA, NFL, ESPN, to name few. My favorite placement so far would have to be my very first on ESPN’s First Take. It was the catalyst into this industry that really gave me the motivation to keep exploring it.
9. What will you be working on with MSCMKRS?
How to conquer the world with music.
10. Can you list a few links for us to check out?